Thursday, September 26, 2013

Battle of Britain: Squadron Leader Wojciech Kołaczkowski Squadron 303



I have recently uncovered this distant relative who was a fighter ace and part of the famous 303 Squadron during the Battle of Britain.  Later on he was their Sqr. Leader.

Sqr. 303 was one of the squadrons with the most kills during the Battle of Britain as many of the pilots already had combat experience


Wojciech Kołaczkowski was a cousin of my Grandmother and apparantly flew to Moniaki before the war showing off his flying skills to the villagers - this information was supplied by Zofia Zinserling who kindly sent me her english version of her life at Moniaki.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/No._303_Polish_Fighter_Squadron


3 comments:

Bob byrne said...

Dear Mr. Olszowski,
My name is Robert Byrne. Squadron Leader Kolaczkowski was the father of my childhood friend, John Kolaczkowski, in Forest Hills, New York. Mr. Kolaczkowski was, for obvious reasons, my idol. He was charming, sophisticated and had many stories to tell that fascinated all our friends.
I've lost touch with his son John, and if you have any information regarding his whereabouts, perhaps you could email me at: rbyrneesq1@aol.com
Regards,
Bob Byrne

Nicolas Olszowski said...

Dear Mr. Byrne,

Thank you so much for reaching out to me. Sadly I never had the chance to meet him myself as I lived in the UK and later Denmark. My Grandmother never actually mentioned him and I did not realise who he was until I'd read my Grandmothers memoirs a second or third time and started searching for more info. So, I am sorry to say I cannot help you find his son as I don't have any link to that part of the (now distant) family.

Kind regards, Nicolas Olszowski

Nicolas Olszowski said...

Mr. Byrne, any news on his life after the war would very welcome if you can share. Kind regards, Nicolas

Blog Archive